Tashkent hosts an international symposium on the theme "Achievements, innovations, technologies and prospects for the development of agricultural science and the textile industry"
Tashkent, Uzbekistan (UzDaily.com) -- On 17-18 August 2022, an international symposium "Achievements, innovations, technologies and prospects for the development of agricultural science and the textile industry" dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the Research Institute of Breeding, Seed Production and Agrotechnology is being held in Tashkent cotton cultivation (NIISSAVKh) under the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Uzbekistan is being held in Tashkent.
The event is attended by the Minister of Water Resources of the Republic of Uzbekistan, employees of the Ministry of Agriculture, heads of the Committee of the Legislative Chamber of the Oliy Majlis of the Republic of Uzbekistan on Agrarian and Water Management Issues, the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the Agency for Plant Protection and Quarantine, the Research Institute of Breeding, Seed Production and Agricultural Technology of Cotton Growing, the Association of Cotton textile clusters of Uzbekistan, industry scientists, representatives of international organizations, as well as agricultural specialists and experts invited from 15 foreign countries.
The purpose of the symposium is to discuss scientific and practical achievements, innovative technologies and prospects for the development of agricultural science and the textile industry.
Shavkat Khamraev, Minister of Water Resources of the Republic of Uzbekistan:
- The identified issues of the symposium are very important and an integrated approach is undoubtedly needed to solve them. According to scientists, climate change will lead to an increase in air temperature, which poses a threat to water supply. On the part of our ministry, work is being carried out to introduce drip irrigation in the regions of the republic, complex reclamation is being developed, and specialists are carrying out soil leaching and work to reduce their salinity. We continue to study drip irrigation for its large-scale implementation in the regions of the country.
Ravshan Mamutov, Chairman of the Committee on Agriculture and Water Resources of the Legislative Chamber of the Oliy Majlis of the Republic of Uzbekistan:
- Today, in the agricultural sector, the direction of seed production plays a special role in ensuring food security. Attention is paid to the issue of creating new varieties by improving seed production in the republic. For this, a special fund for the development of seed production was created and innovative technologies are being introduced. In addition, I would like to note the success of the Research Institute of Selection, Seed Production and Cotton Cultivation in cooperation with a number of organizations in the agricultural sector.
Boris Straumal, Director of the Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Chernogolovka (Russia):
- I thank the organizers of the symposium for the invitation and I would like to sincerely congratulate the NIISSAVKh, on the fields of which I practically grew up, thanks to the activities of my father, who worked at this institute for 60 years. I told about his life path and work in my presentation to the participants of the symposium.
Akmal Shamsiev, Head of the Cotton Growing Department of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Uzbekistan:
- For 100 years of scientific activity, NIISSAVH scientists have carried out large-scale research work to create early-ripening, high-yielding, medium- and fine-fiber varieties of cotton with high-quality fibers, high oil content in seeds, resistant to diseases and pests, suitable for machine harvesting. The Institute contributes to the development of the cotton industry not only in Uzbekistan, but also in Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and many other foreign countries.
Azam Ravshanov, director of the Research Institute of Selection, Seed Production and Agricultural Technology of Cotton Growing (NIISSAVH):
- Today, the geography of international relations in NIISSAVH is constantly expanding, and a systematic introduction of advanced foreign experience in the republic has been established. As a result, agreements on scientific and practical cooperation were signed with scientific organizations in the USA, China, Pakistan, Turkey, Greece, Russia, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan, Belarus, which has a positive effect on the development of the sphere. Seeds of the zoned cotton varieties "Sultan", "Namangan-77", "Andijan-35", "Andijan-36" are exported to the republics of Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan. In particular, 5 varieties of cotton are being tested in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, 4 in the Republic of Azerbaijan and 2 in the Kyrgyz Republic.
Main topics are crop gene pool; general and molecular genetics, biotechnology; breeding, seed production, crop production and plant protection; general and irrigated agriculture, cotton growing and grain growing; land reclamation and resource-saving technologies; agrochemistry and soil science; textile industry.
During the symposium, special attention will be paid to the practical application of the results of scientific research conducted by domestic and foreign scientists, and the search for solutions to problems.
The program of the symposium includes plenary reports and a round table.