Tashkent, Uzbekistan (UzDaily.com) -- The Republic of Uzbekistan strongly condemns the terrorist acts committed during the holy month of Ramadan in the cities of Kabul, Mazar-i-Sharif and Kunduz, the Ministty of Foreign Affairs of Uzbekistan said in a statement.
Acts of violence, which have led to numerous casualties among the population, impede the establishment of sustainable peace and national harmony in Afghanistan, the statement reads.
The Uzbek side expresses sincere condolences to the families and loved ones of the victims, and also wishes a speedy recovery to the injured, the statement added.
At least 46 people were killed and 143 injured as a result of an explosion that occurred on Friday in a Shiite mosque in the Afghan province of Kunduz, a source in the local health department told RIA Novosti.
“According to the latest data, 46 people died, 143 were injured,” the source said.
Earlier, an eyewitness told RIA Novosti that the number of victims exceeded 100, there were about 20 injured. In turn, the media reported that 60 people died in the explosion and more than 100 were injured. It was noted that all the dead and injured were the parishioners of the mosque. According to the representative of the Taliban movement Zabiullah Mujahid, special forces arrived at the scene of the explosion, and an investigation is underway. The media, citing a local representative of the movement, reported that the explosion had been carried out by a suicide bomber. The representative of the Afghan Interior Ministry, Said Khosti, confirmed to RIA Novosti the fact of the explosion, but stressed that the number of victims is unknown. Later, the terrorist group "Islamic State - Vilayat Khorasan" took responsibility for the explosion.